Riding

Roy's Training

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Ups and Downs

Boy is this an adventure. Roy was doing great, bit in, bending, yielding hind quarters, lunging. He still let Gavin know he did not want him on his back. He was ok with the saddle but no predator was going to get over his head. Well day before yesterday Gavin when out to do his normal routine with Roy. You would have thought it was the first day. He forgot everything and just wanted to run away. Well Mustangs are new to us and we were lost. We called Joe Misner, he came right over to help us get through this. Roy has some marks on his back legs, looks like he may have been caught in something and had to fight to get out. Joe said this may be why he has this flight response and we will have to teach him running away is not the answer. So that's what Gavin is working on. I went out today while Gavin went on a ride with Pockets the wonder mustang. I was just going to brush Roy. Well he was ok with that and let me brush him, then he turned a bite me on the arm. It still hurts and is going to leave a nice bruise. Oh Well good thing I'm not the trainer. I just want to add that we think Joe is the greatest!!! He is so good with these mustangs. He has been riding Laredo since the second day, he took him to a demonstration about a week into training and week two included a day of cow sorting. He is involved with the Mustang incentive program and does Gospel Round Pen with the mustangs. I really hope he does well at this competition. If your interested visit his blog at twoponiestraining.blogspot.com. I have a link on this blog. Oh I hope everyone does will not just Joe.

3 comments:

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

I'm sorry you've had such a setback. Hopefully he was just having a bad day and you'll be back on track soon. I'll be cheering you on!

Kathy M said...

Kathy don't let Gavin get upset about this, each horse is going to be different, and I'll bet by giving him the time to be ready, he'll progress like crazy once he accepts it.

Joe is wonderful, and is sure to do well! The thing that really hooked us on the mustang makeover/challenge was meeting so many people who loved mustangs and were happy to share their knowledge and experience.

Tracey said...

Three steps forward, one step back. Oh, how I know that dance! Eventually you get used to it. Or maybe not, lol! Sandy is my second mustang with these kinds of issues, so I feel your pain =) (And he bit my finger, so I mean I really do feel it, lol!)